Things to Consider in Orthodontic Treatment
Things to Consider for Patients Undergoing Orthodontic Treatment
Orthodontic treatment is a medical procedure that aims to align the teeth with an aesthetic appearance and correct the jaw structure.
This treatment helps to improve patients’ oral health and aesthetics but requires some special attention and care throughout the treatment process.
In this article, we will examine what patients undergoing orthodontic treatment should pay attention to and how they can make the treatment process easier. You can find some important points to consider when taking steps for a healthy smile.
What is Orthodontic Treatment and What Does It Do?
Orthodontic treatment is a specialty of dentistry aimed at correcting the structure of the teeth and jaw. This treatment aims to eliminate oral health problems such as irregularity, crowding or incompatibility of the jaw structure. The treatments applied can solve functional problems as well as aesthetic concerns.
One of the most common goals of orthodontic treatment is to create proper tooth alignment by removing crowding or crowding of teeth. This improves chewing functions and oral hygiene while maintaining oral and jaw health. In addition, properly aligned teeth are easier to clean, which reduces the risk of cavities and gum disease.
From an aesthetic point of view, having straight teeth can increase a person’s self-confidence and have a positive impact on social relationships. The methods used for orthodontic treatment include braces, clear aligners, brackets and other appliances. These devices gently move the teeth to achieve the desired alignment. They are customized to each patient’s needs, and the treatment process can usually last anywhere from a few months to several years.
It is important to be prepared for orthodontic treatment emergencies. Following the instructions recommended by your doctor and keeping regular check-ups can also help prevent problems.
Is It Risky to Have Dental Treatments During the Pandemic?
During the pandemic, it is very important to continue treatments in clinics where hygiene and sterilization procedures are meticulously applied.
Preferring clinics that plan the appointment and clinic order in accordance with the social distancing rule and working personally with appointments are among the points to be considered in terms of reducing the risk of transmission…
The use of special ventilation systems, sterilization units, ULV devices, and the Covid-19 pandemic training of doctors and staff are among the other factors that should be evaluated in order to carry out the treatment in a safe environment.
Ways to Cope With Pain and Discomfort During Treatment
Pain and discomfort can sometimes occur during orthodontic treatment, but there are ways to overcome these problems. First of all, you may experience pain during the first fitting or adjustment of your orthodontic appliances. To alleviate this, you can use aids such as pain medication, cold compresses or waxes to protect the braces. Your doctor can give you suggestions to make this process comfortable. You should take your doctor’s advice into account and, if necessary, pay more attention to oral hygiene.
Eating soft foods during orthodontic treatment can help to put less strain on your teeth and relieve pain. Avoiding hard and sticky foods can also make your treatment process more comfortable. It is normal to feel pain at the beginning of treatment and during adjustments, but this discomfort will lessen over time. Being patient can help you get through the treatment process more easily.
Dietary Habits and Dental Health During Orthodontic Treatment
Orthodontic treatment is a method used to correct the teeth and organize the jaw structure. Eating habits are of great importance during this treatment. Proper nutrition can affect dental health. Here are some recommendations for eating habits and dental health that should be considered during orthodontic treatments:
- You may have difficulty chewing after wearing braces. Therefore, soft foods should be preferred. Foods such as yogurt, pureed vegetables and soups cause less damage to the teeth.
- Foods such as nuts, hard candies or ice cream can damage the wires. By avoiding such foods, you can prevent the wires from breaking and prolonging the treatment.
- Do not neglect your brushing and flossing habits. Food debris tends to accumulate between the braces, which can lead to cavities.
- Pain and discomfort may be experienced when treatment starts. During this period, you can help to relax by eating softer foods.
- During orthopedic treatment, it is important to continue regular check-ups with your doctor. Monitoring the progress of your treatment and making any necessary adjustments is important for your dental health.
Paying attention to eating habits during orthodontic treatment can make the treatment process more comfortable and effective.
Emergencies and What to do
Emergencies can occur during orthodontic treatment and need to be dealt with quickly and effectively. Orthodontic emergencies and what to do can be as follows:
- Orthodontic braces may occasionally break or become sharp. If a wire slips to the side, the sharp ends of the wires should be covered with a soft piece of wax. If a wire breaks, the dentist should be consulted as soon as possible.
- Brackets are pieces that are attached to the teeth and can slip from time to time. If a bracket slips, it is recommended to consult a dentist immediately.
- Some patients use night mouthpieces and it is advisable to consult an orthodontist immediately if these are lost or damaged.
- Pain and discomfort are normal during orthodontic treatment. If the pain becomes severe, use the recommended painkillers or consult a doctor.
Importance of Physician Checks
Orthodontic treatment is a dental treatment method applied for the purpose of proper alignment of the teeth and correction of the jaw structure. This treatment process requires close cooperation between the patient and the orthodontist (braces specialist). Medical check-ups are an important element that increases the success rate of the treatment and makes the patient’s treatment process more effective and comfortable.
The first important point is the regular review of the treatment plan by the orthodontist. The orthodontist monitors the movement of the teeth and adjusts the treatment plan when necessary. This helps to ensure optimal treatment duration and better results.
Regular examinations are very important to maintain the health of the teeth and jaw structure. Complications that may occur during treatment can be detected and treated early. The check-ups are also critical for the patient’s comfort and for the treatment process to be more effective. The orthodontist can make the necessary adjustments to alleviate the patient’s discomfort and make the treatment process more comfortable. This can increase the patient’s motivation and reinforce their confidence in the treatment.
Maintaining Permanent Results After Orthodontic Treatment
While orthodontic treatment is an important step in correcting uneven teeth and achieving a healthy smile, it is also important to maintain the results achieved after treatment. Here are some important steps to maintain permanent results after orthodontic treatment.
- Retainer Use: After orthodontic treatment, a retainer (fixed or removable) should be used to prevent unwanted movement of the teeth. Retainers should be used regularly for the recommended period at the end of treatment.
- Regular Check-ups After orthopedic treatment, do not neglect regular check-ups with your dentist. These check-ups are extremely important to monitor the condition of the teeth and detect problems early.
- Oral Hygiene: Good oral hygiene is a critical factor in maintaining results after treatment. Brushing, flossing and regular dental check-ups help to maintain the health of the teeth.
- Healthy Eating Habits: Avoid excessively sugary and acidic foods to protect your teeth. A healthy diet helps keep your teeth strong and sound.
- Teeth Grinding Protection Apparatus: Some people may suffer from nighttime teeth grinding (bruxism). This can affect the teeth after treatment. The use of these appliances on the recommendation of your dentist can prevent this problem.
A disciplined and regular care routine is necessary to maintain the results achieved after orthodontic treatment on a long-term basis. Following your dentist’s recommendations is extremely important to ensure a healthy smile and straight teeth.
ORAL AND DENTAL HEALTH POLYCLINIC
YOU MAY BE INTERESTED
TREATMENTS THAT MAY ATTEND YOU
Ekiz Oral and Dental Health Polyclinic
We are happy to help you achieve the smile of your dreams. You can contact us at any time.